Check availability and book online
Call +44(0)1985 216631

Belgian refugees 1915

Belgian Refugees 1915

1669
  Building of the original house on the Marquess of Bath's Longleat Estate.
1707
  Lease to Thomas Croome, Wool Stapler (wool dealer) of Crockerton, the house, garden, orchard and arable land. For the lives of Thomas and Hestor Croome, his son and daughter, and Benjamin Payne son of Joel Payne, of capon and six chickens.Crockerton, broad weaver. Annual rent of five shillings and eight pence, one capon and six chickens.
1748
  Map showing rectangular building and game larder to the east of ‘Coxmeer' Green.
1756
  Mary Croome, widow of Thomas' son, Thomas.
1770
  Thomas Ball, Mary Croome's second husband, Revenue and Excise Collector of Bath.
1786
  Edward Collinson, Thomas Ball's son-in-law, Tinplate Worker, of Lombard Street in the City of London.
1791
  Map showing building as an ‘L' shape with a south wing and garden with paths. House known locally as ‘Croome's'.
After 1814
  Leaseholder and Occupier: Nathaniel Everett, Clothier.
1839, 1852
  Leaseholder: John Perrior. Occupier: John Higgins.
1876-1878
  Anna Case.
1879
  Charles and Isaiah Maggs Jupe, proprietors of the silk manufactory, originally a fulling mill, at nearby Bull Mill on the River Wylye. The mill was closed in 1894.
1900
  Ordinance survey map showing addition of a covered entrance.
1903
  Isaiah Maggs Jupe.
1909-1910
  Widow of Isaiah Maggs Jupe.
1911-1919
  Frederick Bird Pickford.
1915
  See photo above of Belgian refugees in residence at Crockerton House . The front door is now the office door.
Apr-July 1919
  Lieutenant K Mountstephen Wills of the 2 nd Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces. The property is described as ‘The Green House' and Longleat woodsmen cleared and dug the garden, and renovated the tennis court. Rent of £40 for 6 months.
Sept 1919
  The house, garden and orchard of one acre and twenty perches was sold by Thomas Henry 5 th Marquess of Bath to Leonard Holmes à Court 4th Baron Heytesbury for £800.
1921
  Building of new entrance hall and bedroom (now the office).
1937
  North wing extension with additional reception room and bedroom.
1949
  Sold to The Honourable Blanche Buckland Borthwick for £4,000.
1961
  Sold to Major General Christopher and Mrs Ellen Lipscomb for £8,000.
1978
  Sold to Air Commodore John and Mrs Elizabeth Atkinson.
1986
  Listed as a building of special architectural or historic interest (see below).
Nov 2005
  Sold to Christopher and Enid Richmond.
2007
  Opening of Crockerton House as a bed and breakfast following 12 months restoration.

English Heritage Listing Detached house. C17, rebuilt mid C18, early C20 additions in same style. Rendered rubble stone, tiled mansard roof, gable end brick stacks. 'L'-plan. Two storeys and attic, 4-windowed; sashes. Central early C20 gabled wing projecting to front with door with 6 fielded panels and 12-pane sashes. To either side are pairs of flush sashes to ground and first floor, C20 wing to left has pair of flush sashes to ground and first floor. Lower pitch of mansard has two hipped dormers with 12-pane sashes. Right return has sashes and casements to rear wing. Rear has late C19 bays and 2- light recessed chamfered mullioned casement to ground floor, French windows and 4-pane sash to C20 range to right, first floor has 2- light mullioned casement and three 4-pane sashes, attic has 2-light casements to raking dormers, eaves raised C18 in brick. Rear wing to left has sashes and half-hipped roof. Interior has deeply chamfered beam in room to right of front door, doors with two raised panels, 4-panel or 6-panels, stairs with turned balusters probably early C20. The Western Red Cedar Thuja Plicata at the side of the house is over 200 years old. In the entrance hall are fragments of Medieval Crockerton Pottery discovered in the garden beds in 1973 by Major General Lipscomb.