Crockerton is situated in Cranborne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs, an Area of Outstanding Natural beauty. At Crockerton the River Deverill meets the Shearwater Stream and becomes the River Wylye. The village is situated on an area of Gault clay and as far back as the 13th century the residents of Crockerton, as its name suggests, made their living mainly from pottery.
During the 19th century the industry declined and two families moved to brick making. One of the clay pits was on the site of the ornamental lake at the Lakeside Garden Centre. Also in Crockerton, was a successful cloth and later silk mill, which ran from the 15th century until 1894. Numerous listed buildings have survived including Bull Mill, several cottages and houses, two chapels and a church.
From Crockerton House walk down Bull Lane past Bull Mill across the River Wylye to Southleigh Wood and the ancient earthwork of Robin Hood’s Bower where King Alfred assembled his troops before fighting The Vikings on Salisbury Plain. Also stroll into the village of Crockerton past The Bath Arms Pub to Shearwater Lake which has a tearoom (open occasionally), fishing and sailing. Just up the road are Wylye Valley Vineyard which has a shop selling local produce, and Wylye Valley Cycle Route which passes through lovely countryside and villages to Wilton.